Thursday, May 8, 2014

Post-Graduation as a Technical Writer

I have a very unique situation as a technical writer. I chose this major because I knew it would be a degree as a precursor to entering law school.

This June, I will be taking the LSAT, and during the fall semester I will be applying to various law schools. Currently, my top three law schools are Indiana University in Bloomington, University of Missouri, Columbia, and the the University of Missouri Kansas City.

To apply to any of these law schools, I have to fill out several applications, create a portfolio, draft a letter of intent, and collect letters of recommendation from several professors.

My skills as a technical writer will help me to stand out among my fellow applicants for law school in several ways. A few weeks ago, Pittsburg State was visited by an English major who was not working as an English major. Joi Tribble discussed how her training as English major made her a desirable employee because of her critical reading and writing skills. These same skills will be useful when taking the LSAT, and in law school.

Skills that I still need to develop would be all law-related, such as litigation, application of past cases, and torts.

Thanks to my internship at Krimson Kultuur, I have better understanding of business and business practices. It has also taught me that I am not interested in practicing business law. Krimson Kultuur has also increased my ability to work with, help, and converse with strangers in a professional setting.

Below, I have included links to apply to take the LSAT, and links to the three law schools I mentioned earlier as my top three choices. All three are self-explanatory in regards to applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment