Thursday, December 10, 2015

Training for the Furture

     Since my internship is coming to an end for this semester I have started to look at job opportunities. I have found three great job options for the start of my career. All three jobs are something that I would be very interested in and I think I would be very comfortable staying in the positions for some time. My internship has helped to prepare me for someone of the role requirements that all of the jobs are asking of their future employees.  Two of the jobs are located in Las Vegas, Nevada and the other is located in Washington, D.C.

     The first company is Ruby on Rails, located in Washington D.C., and they are looking for a Technical Writer who can document the architecture of the app itself. They request that the applicant has a degree in computer science, education or technical writing. I think I would already be a benefit to this company because my major is English with the emphasis in Technical Writing and a supporting minor in Computer Information Science. The company specializes in software development for learning activities for K through 3rd-grade students in charter and private schools. This is similar to what I have been doing in my internship. I have been formatting and editing children’s literature and helping to publish them in an online forum. The company specifically wants a tech writer that is able to take the software language of their products and make them into something easily understood by the salespeople and any potential partners.

     The second company is Birtcher located in Las Vegas, NV. They are looking for a technical writer that will be able to maintain the existing document base they have, but also be able to develop new procedural documentation. The documentation will be used by the manufacturing production line, sub-assembly stations, warehouse & shipping and quality. The material and assignments that are asked of us in our classes will be great preparation for the materials this company would be asking of the technical writing employee. Something that makes this position different from a regular technical writing job is that they are asking more of their employee. Such as: meeting with individuals requesting technical documents to form relevant support materials to develop written documentation, drawings, and installation instructions. It seems that the company would like their employee to be well rounded and integrated into the company structure. This is an idea that I really like and feel would be beneficial for me because I am a people person and enjoy communicating with others.

     The third company is Konami, they specialize in systems and game development. They are specifically looking for a Technical Writer but I think I could bring more to the applicant pool because I have a minor in Computer Information Science. The basic outline for what they are asking of a future employee is to take the engineering and mechanical language that the software and games are written in and transition it into technical instructions that someone without a computer background would be able to understand easily. I think my knowledge of computer language would be very beneficial here and help to also bridge the gap that is sometimes created between software engineers and technical writers. Some of the day to day things that the company would be asking of an employee is the maintaining of documentation and templates that are preexisting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment