Monday, March 7, 2016

Genres in Technical and Professional Writing

My internship with Krimson Kultuur has introduced me to many genres within the Technical field. Carolyn Miller mentions that the, "definition of a genre must be centered not on the substance or the form of discourse but on the action it is used to accomplish" (Miller 151).  I noticed that the main thing I find myself doing in this internship involves many document design projects. Being the only technical writer in my work environment, I find most need in marketing efforts. Technical and Professional Writing allows me to focus on my audience, which would be the businesses' targeted demographic: young adult to middle aged women. A lot of my efforts involves out-of-house activity more so than internal matters such as communication channels. Everything that I work on will eventually end up being seen by the public. This makes me more cautious in every piece that I produce. I double check every project before it goes off to printing or social media.

In the article, "Genre As Social Action", it mentions that a genre "must involve situation and motive" (151).  This could not be more true. Krimson Kultuur is currently planning a fashion show later this month. The root of this large event is to increase awareness within the City of Pittsburg about our fashionable products and the social benefits it brings to people in developing countries. The first task I had to do was create a flyer that would increase awareness about the event. Now, I am assigned the responsibility of making flyers for every vendor that we will end up showcasing. This flyer will be used in multiple ways: each vendor will have a table with the flyer displayed along with the products we currently own, it will be a visual and informative piece for customers, and it will give the intern a synopsis of our product so they can better explain the story behind the product when selling the items. When piecing these flyers together, I must constantly be thinking of my targeted audience. Our story is what sells the products.

The genre that I find present in the field is adaptability. In order to perform certain tasks flexibility is a necessary component. In a business, customer's opinions about products change all the time. In order to understand the audience, one must also understand their motive. Genre can be applied here because everything that is written must be revised and made sure that it appeals to the audience. It is a process of researching and applying knowledge into the message the business is trying to convey to their market. It almost acts as a constant way of communicating with the seller and buyer and using Technical Writing to clear up any barriers that may block that message. It seems very small in the larger picture but is actually a critical tool to use for a successful marketing campaign.

Miller, Carolyn Genre As Social Action

No comments:

Post a Comment