Friday, May 6, 2016

Training for the Future

As my time at Pittsburg State University comes to an end, I have started thinking about possible career opportunities.  Completing this internship has allowed to me develop skills that will be very useful in my career field.  The following job descriptions are all positions that I would be interested in.
            The first position that I found was a Managing Editor for World Grain.  World Grain is a magazine based in Kansas City and it is the leading business publication covering the international grain flour milling, and feed industries.  The managing editor contributes to and helps oversee the workflow of World Grain and its website.  As managing editor, I would write and edit articles, work with the design staff to ensure a quality presentation, coordinate communication between staff, and develop and maintain relationships with readers and advertisers.  This job also has the potential to travel.  In order to be successful, I would need to have knowledge of grain, flour milling, and feed industries.  In order to gain that knowledge, I would need to do research on this topic.  Reading their magazine would be the first step.   I would also need strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.  My college education really allowed me to develop me skills in this area, so that is not something that I would really need to work on.  After attending the Publishing Institute at the University of Denver, I think I would be very prepared for this job description.
            Another job position that I found is an Editorial Director at Andrews McMeel.  Andrews McMeel is located in Kansas City and they are known for cutting-edge comics and best-selling humor, cookbook, puzzle, and children’s books.  As an Editorial Director, I would acquire, develop, and edit books, direct the editorial team, collaborate with other teams and editors, and provide leadership.  In order to be successful in this job, I would need to develop my leadership qualities.  I could do this by taking a leadership class at Johnson County Community College or I could do some research and read helpful books.  I will also need excellent knowledge of current digital and print book production and design procedure.  I believe that after attending the Denver Publishing Institute, I will have all of the necessary skills for this job posting.
            The last job posting that I found was a Publishing Assistant at Greenleaf Book Group, which is located in Austin, Texas.  Greenleaf Book Group is dedicated to helping authors take their ideas and make them a reality.  They have over 35 New York Times and Wall Street Journal best sellers and award-winning editorial and design.  As a publishing assistant, I would manage the front desk and phone system, manage office meetings, and assist teams with projects.  In order to be successful, I will need strong writing and verbal skills, which I definitely acquired during my time at Pittsburg State University.   I will also need strong Microsoft Office skills, which I am also good at, but I will need to improve my skills with Excel because that is that one that I use the least.  While this job may not be exactly what I want to do, I think it would be a good way to get my foot in the door.

            Overall, all of these places have positions that I would be interested in applying for.  They will all provide me with good experience and they will be good stepping-stones for my career.  I truly believe that Pittsburg State University prepared me for me future endeavors and I can’t wait to see where I end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment