Friday, May 12, 2017

Training for the Future


When evaluating various future endeavors and the way that technical writing fits in, I wanted to also consider law school acceptances. This is because I very much plan to attend law school directly after I finish my undergraduate degree. However, I have been looking at various big law schools, knowing that the requirements are as strenuous as any entry-level job. For this assignment, I chose to evaluate the Ivy League schools to demonstrate how technical writing can prepare someone even for something so notably exclusive as Yale or Cornell. Johnson-Eilola notes, “rearticulating technical communication in post-industrial terms provides a common ground between academic and corporate models of technical communication, which are notoriously disparate.” I think this very much articulates the purpose of highly ranked law schools. Occupations in the legal field are exceptionally reliant on bridging the gap between academic and corporate models of technical communication. A legal professional has to be able to effectively communicate both in political, legal, and laymen’s terms. Proficiency in language is tantamount.
The acceptance rates of the top ten law schools vary between 4 and 19 percent, with all of them relying heavily on three major factors. Those three major factors are as follows: GPA, LSAT score, and personal statement. PSU provides a wonderful learning environment with stimulating classes and personalized interaction with faculty. Because of these incredible offerings, I have been fortunate enough to maintain a 4.0 in both my English and GIT majors (cumulative 3.90 because general education is definitely not a strength of mine). This is a major factor when law schools consider individuals. The second factor is the LSAT score. The LSAT consists mainly of reading, writing, and analytical/critical thinking skills- all vital to the English degree. Although I have not taken the LSAT, this puts me in a very solid position to perform- provided that I study. Finally, the personal statement is where decisions are truly made. When a vast sea of students with impeccable scores all apply to the same school, said school will begin evaluating the personal statement. The key to writing an excellent personal statement is a combination of wit, rhetoric, personality- and flawless writing skills. What is honestly sad is that I likely stand a better chance of being admitted into a good law school than I do getting an entry-level position anywhere. I am a little more useless when it comes to non-academic rigor.
The first “real job” I found was a technical writing position in Seattle, WA. Personally, I would have no issue relocating for a few years or even more. This particular job is a consulting agency. The skills necessary are partly there for me. It calls for technical writing experience, but does not clarify if that is referring to work experience or if internships and collegiate experience work as well (either way).  I know a little bit of the computer skills they need, but I definitely feel like I do not have everything they are looking for. Considering that the job is $85k, I can imagine more qualified applicants will apply. However, I do think I could at least provide a convincing argument for my ability to learn the required skills quickly.

The second job is one I would legitimately apply for if I were to go to law school in Massachusetts. In Canton, Softrax is seeking a technical writer with experience in software documentation- something I would be perfect for with a second degree in digital media (technology). The listed skills involve working well with others and creativity- things that I would be good at- as well as several softwares that I am comfortable with. With an estimated salary of $55-80k, this would be beyond ideal.
As far as working within these fields, I really loved Sopensky’s words, “Complex systems give rise to simple behavior. Simple systems give rise to simple behavior.”
I feel like I especially have learned that in classes as an undergraduate. When faced with daunting tasks, it always helps to respond in a simple way. Almost all of my major successes have come from simplifying a complicated task, and many of my failures have generated from complicating a simple task. Regardless, I feel prepared by my undergraduate and am excited for what lies ahead.

Johndan Johnson-Eilola, “Relocating the Value of Work:  Technical Communication In a Post-IndustrialAge”Sherry G. Southard, “Interacting Successfully in Corporate Culture”Emily Soplinsky, “Survival Skills for Communicators within Organizations”

No comments:

Post a Comment