Monday, April 4, 2016

From Schoolroom to Workroom

Krimson Kuluur is a non-profit business that is run by Pittsburg State University Enactus students.  I am interning as a Technical Writer and perform a wide range of responsibilities such as copyediting, document/website design, and revision.

Skills required to be successful in this position is flexibility, efficiency, and passion. I currently collaborate with other interns that come from different backgrounds, from Finance to Fashion Merchandising majors. As Chris Anson and Lee Forsberg puts it, being flexible is a "...matter of developing strategies for social and intellectual adaptions to different professional communities" (p 203). Efficiency comes in because, in the business world, time is money. I have had produced many documents in a fast pace, small tight frame, and not jeopardizing the quality of the work. Having an authentic passion for English is needed because there is always room to improve on, especially in the Technical field. I recall having to research outside of what I have learned because my task in a project deemed it necessary. Having an interest in the subject made the learning easier.

In the beginning of my internship, I had the notion that I would mainly be creating manuals for the store's daily operations. My experience has led me to work on projects that require more creativity on my part. An example of this is creating the flyers for a big event held this past March. This was tricky because, in the classroom, a future technical writer is taught to know their audience. However, when making the flyer, I had more than one audience in mind: the community, the students, and people who do not know much about fair trade. Chris Anson and Lee Forsberg talk about this when they say that a strong Technical Writer, "...meet the demands of multiple readers whose status, power, and professional orientations vary..." (p 201). This has allowed me to tailor my skills to the appropriate social setting needed. The work atmosphere is very organic and requires constant feedback. I have sharpened the skills gained in the classroom and continue to expand my knowledge as I apply real-world concepts to the field. Technical Writing carries a professional advantage as the field is able to apply well in the business world. It has continuously proven to show my co-workers of my competency in my work. Writing is needed everywhere and it is a discipline I believe everyone needs that will most certainly give them a competitive edge in the workforce.

Sources:
Chris Anson and Lee Forsberg. "Moving Beyond the Academic Community: Transitional Stages in Professional Writing."

No comments:

Post a Comment