Monday, April 4, 2016

From Schoolroom to Workroom

My internship is with Dr. Jamie McDaniel, the director of Technical/Professional Writing program at Pittsburg State University. So far, my internship has provided a variety of opportunities that aid in developing a full skill set. These skills range anywhere from editing copy for department documents to web and graphic design for the website and social media pages. The main project I am completing for Dr. McDaniel is revamping the Technical/Professional Writing program. I'm completing this project in the form of  two websites: the department page for the Pitt State website and a supplemental website for aspiring professional writers and students. The websites will have copy that has been transformed and re-communicated, a promotional video that outlines the purpose of the program, and social media pages that will draw students in. The main goal is to promote the program to the extent where students are drawn in. In the past, the department has found that many students attach negative connotations to technical. The goal of the project is to eliminate the word completely and introduce the program as Professional Writing. Part of my responsibilities include effectively communicating to students about the change in this program and what it can offer them. With this goal, I have sharpened and developed skills in rhetorical and persuasive writing, graphic design, web design, videography, editing, and marketing tactics such as promotional appeal. I thought I would do a lot more writing and a lot less filmmaking, editing, and designing, but I enjoy these new skills I have acquired.

Many of the web design skills I have acquired differ from many of the academic writing I've done previously. As a literature major, a lot of my work consists of analysis of literature. Although my papers should be persuasive and rhetorical, I am only appealing to a single or limited audience. In writing for the new program, my audience is vast--therefore, my writing habits have to be altered. Additionally, the audience members I'm mainly appealing to fall in the 18-25 range--so, my tone, graphics, and overall message has to alter to their individual culture. As Linda Driskill states in her article, "Understanding the Writing Contexts in Organizations," "Culture is a powerful determinant of the definition and situation of rituals and procedures" (64). In my implementation and writing, I had to analyze these cultural norms and nuisances so that I could appeal to the specified audiences.

The internship with Dr. McDaniel is very relaxed and informal. Although he provides me with the proper guidance, most of the work comes from me. Every week we meet in his office to discuss the work that he assigns or the progress I've made on the project as a whole. I show my work to him and he critiques it as he pleases. I like this dynamic and I think it's helpful in creating and maintaining healthy and professional collaborations. The work I've completed so far has been challenging yet rewarding. I am sharpening already developed skills in classes I've taken previously as well as developing new ones. If you're ever thinking about going the academic route for a career, I would consider and internship or research project with a professor. It really gives you a detailed look at the academic work, field, and relationships you'll encounter.




No comments:

Post a Comment